Sunday, July 26, 2020

Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Them Goodbye


Below is an email that I sent to the Chicago White Sox this week.


Dear Chicago White Sox Organization:

The Chicago White Sox have been part of my life as long as I can remember.  One of my earliest memories was being on my father’s lap during a fireworks show at old Comiskey.  I had a treasured ball hit by Don Buford when I was a boy.  I also kept a 1967 yearbook and I remember Joel Horlen, Smokey Burgess and Ken Berry.  In high school, I reveled in the South Side Hit Men and that exciting summer of 1977 with Nancy Faust playing “Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye” after Ritchie Zisk and Oscar Gamble pounded home runs all summer long.  Later, there was the ’83 Winning Ugly team and, of course, the capstone of the glorious 2005 World Series victory.  I have a lifetime of memories around the White Sox.

Just prior to the COVID19 outbreak, a consultant and I were discussing the purchase of a ticket package for client entertainment.  The White Sox looked like an exciting team this year with exciting prospects.

All of this is gone now.  I am writing to tell you that I will not set foot at Guaranteed Rate (or whatever your ballpark is called in the future) again.  I have unfollowed all the MLB and White Sox related sites on social media.  The old yearbook has been pitched.

MLB’s support and alliance with Black Lives Matter makes attending a ballgame distasteful and intolerable.  This Marxist organization is committed to, among other things, “the disruption of the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure.” Night after night, we have seen the violence, looting and havoc wreaked by BLM members in its name.  Their members chant “Pigs in a blanket, fry ‘em like bacon” and “What do we want? Dead cops.  When do we want it? Now.”   The founders of Black Lives Matter are “trained Marxists” (their own words) and one of their representatives explicitly told Martha MacCallum that he intended to “burn it all down.”  It is reprehensible that the league intends to support and promote an organization that openly advocates Marxism, the destruction of the family, and violence against law enforcement. 

Most hypocritical of all is one of your star players, Jose Abreu,  who joined the kneelers.  Abreu somehow made his  way out of Communist Cuba to come to the U.S. to play ball.  Had he remained in Cuba,  he’d still be eating rice and beans with his ration of chicken and playing in rickety, run down ballparks.  Instead, he was able to escape and make millions, and he now disgraces the freedom and riches that this great nation offered him.  If Marxism was for him, why did he bother to go through the machinations required to leave his beloved Cuba?

Baseball is truly the American pastime.  I was eagerly looking forward to the start of this shortened season, the Field of Dreams game this summer and a young team that looked like it will be competitive for many years,  and it saddens me that I will miss all that.  But you and the rest of the league have chosen to abandon me as a fan and customer, so I am abandoning you.  I will not be purchasing the ticket package this year….or ever.  I will use my leisure time to pursue other activities, and I will find other ways to entertain clients. 

Best of luck to you and the league.   The COVID19 experience will allow your players get accustomed to playing in empty stadiums.

No comments:

Post a Comment