Thursday, July 11, 2019

Anti-American Chic


I often say that every sport and every quality sports franchise needs a face.  Tiger Woods is still the face of golf.  For years, Michael Jordan was the face of basketball and of the Bulls.  LeBron is the face of basketball today.  Here in Chicago, Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews are the faces of the Blackhawks.

Sadly for the US women’s soccer team, Megan Rapinoe has thrust herself into that position for the triumphant US women’s soccer team.  But immediately turning the marvelous success of the team into a platform to blather her anti-Trump rhetoric, Rapinoe turned herself into a sort of androgynous hybrid of AOC and Colin Kaepernick, spewing her stuff all over the media, including a shout out to AOC.  Most incredibly, while she stated she would spurn an invitation to the White House, she ended her interview with CNN reporter Anderson Cooper by saying she would meet with anyone “who believes in the same things we believe in.”

Well, that’s inclusive.

Brash, narcissistic, vulgar (MSNBC had to apologize because she used the word m***f**er in her remarks in New York), intolerant, she excoriates Trump for, well, being brash, narcissistic, vulgar and intolerant.

Funny how that works.

She cannot name a single action which has provoked her ire, but rather tosses rocks at the cartoon character image of Trump that the MSM has created in her mind.  The reality is that Trump is the first president that came into office supporting gay marriage and his administration is leading the push to eradicate criminalization of homosexuality worldwide.  But she prattles on about Trump (he lives rent free in her head) and the other supposed injustices that this horrible country has perpetrated. 

It's very sad, because anyone that reads my blog knows that I have been a longtime supporter of women’s athletics, and have been vocal about the threat to it that the transgender movement poses to women’s sports.  I have been a champion of the progress in participation and quality of girl’s and women’s athletics over the past 40 years.  But Rapinoe successfully turned me off following this team. Ordinarily, I would have been riveted to my T.V. for the finals.  I simply found chores to do on Sunday. Instead of celebrating their feat, I’m wholly indifferent.

I dumped N.F.L. football when Colin Kaepernick and his pals turned the N.F.L. into an anti-American extravaganza. And, by the way, we learned last weekend that Kaepernick’s antics weren’t just about claims of police brutality.

I disconnected from the Catholic Church when Pope Francis attacked American capitalism and sovereignty and started to use the language of a garden variety Latin American communist dictator.
Sports and religion should steer clear of politics, not platforms to engage in it.  In other words, STAY IN YOUR LANE.  I watch sports to watch competition, not receive a political message.  I went to church for spiritual enrichment, not hear a public policy argument.  I attend music events to hear a performance, not about “social justice.”  Once you get out of your lane, you lose me.

And thanks to Kaepernick, I ordered a Betsy Ross flag patch to have sewn over the Nike swoosh on my golf shirt.

Never let a good golf shirt go to waste.


No comments:

Post a Comment